Even meat eaters will enjoy this delicious aubergine, lentil and feta stack. Very easy to cook on the hotplate and simmer oven and good enough to serve at a dinner party. Serves 2.
- 125g dried green puy lentils (you could use a 400g tin or pouch of lentils)
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 125ml white wine (you can omit and up the stock)
- 1 large aubergine
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 150g spinach leaves
- 150g wild rocket leaves
- handful basil leaves
- 200g feta cheese, chopped
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- Prepare lentils as per the packet instructions. Place the lentils in a pan and add the stock and wine.Bring to the boil. Cover the pan and place in the bottom oven (mine us set at 100ºC) for around 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Meanwhile, slice the aubergines into disk around 1cm thick. Brush both sides with olive oil and cook both sides on bake-o-glide directly on the hot plate until brown. You can use a griddle pan if you don’t want to cook on the hotplate. Reserve.
- Remove the lentils from the oven and check they are tender. Drain any excess liquid.
- Combine the lentils, spinach, rocket, basil, onion, feta and balsamic vinegar in a bowl.
- Layer the aubergine slices and lentil mixture alternately on two plates until you have created your stack. Sprinkle half of the sun dried tomatoes on to each stack. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Serve on their own or with some crusty sourdough bread or ciabatta.