These cheesy cabbage enchiladas were surprisingly delicious despite cutting out the tortilla. I am trying to reduce my carb intake to try and lose a few pounds and these really hit the spot, especially served with spicy coleslaw, guacamole and tomato salsa. Have a go at these from Delish – you will not be disappointed with the cheesy cabbage enchiladas alternative to the real thing. Serves 4.
- 1 whole green cabbage
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- red enchilada sauce (recipe below)
- 500g cooked and shredded chicken thighs (or breasts)
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander, plus more for garnish
- 200g grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 100g grated cheddar
- pot of sour cream, for drizzling
For the enchilada sauce:
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- pinch of salt
- 200ml passata sauce (or ½ can tomatoes whizzed up)
- Boil 400ml of water on the hotplate. Using tongs, dip each cabbage leaf in the boiling water for 30 seconds and place on a plate lined with kitchen roll to dry.
- In a large frying pan on the hotplate, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and pepper and season. Cook until soft, around 5 minutes, then stir in the garlic, cumin, and chilli powder. Add the shredded cooked chicken and two thirds of the enchilada sauce and stir until the chicken is completely coated in the sauce. Remove from the heat and stir in the coriander.
- Place a heaped spoonful of the chicken mixture into the centre of each cabbage leaf. Fold the short sides of the cabbage leaf in first, then roll into a cylinder — like a burrito! Repeat until all chicken mixture is used.
- Place the cabbage enchiladas into an oven proof dish, ensuring they are closely packed together to prevent the filling escaping.
- Spoon remaining enchilada sauce over filled cabbage parcels and sprinkle with both cheeses. Bake in the top oven at around 200ºC for about 20 minutes until the cheese has completely melted. Serve with sour cream and garnish with coriander to serve.