Chicken and spinach make a great curry combo. This chicken and spinach curry from simplyfoodbymandy is really easy to make and tastes divine. You can use boneless thighs with no skin if you prefer but it’s tastier with both.
- 8-10 whole chicken thighs
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 4 onions, finely chopped
- 5 gloves of garlic crushed or finely chopped
- 1 thumb sized piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 2-4 dried chillies or 2-3 red fresh chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp medium curry powder
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp mace (optional)
- 5 cardamom pods
- 3-4 curry leaves
- 1 can tomatoes
- 1 can coconut cream
- squeeze of honey
- small bag of fresh spinach
- Season the chicken with the curry powder and salt and pepper
- Fry the chicken in a casserole pan on the hotplate until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook until soft and golden. Next stir in the garlic, ginger and chillies and cook for a further five minutes.
- Add all the spices and give it a good stir. Pour in the canned tomatoes, coconut cream and a squeeze of honey. Add the chicken thighs back to the pan and bring to a gentle simmer for around 10 minutes. Put a lid on the pan and pop in the top oven at around 200ºC for around 30-40 minutes. Test the chicken to ensure it is cooked through. You can transfer to the bottom oven at 100ºC and cook slowly for a couple of hours too.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the spinach until wilted. Serve with basmati rice or cauliflower rice if you are on a Keto diet.