Breakfast is often difficult as I am trying to eat healthily but I find it so much quicker to whack a couple of slices of bread in the toaster and slather with butter and marmalade. So I decided to try making my own Crunchy nut muesli which is sugar free and a much healthier choice with yoghurt and berries. I spiced mine up to add taste as I did not use artificial sweetener as I don’t like the taste but you can add stevia or monk fruit if you prefer.
- 2 tbsp hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp salted peanuts
- 1 tbsp flaked almonds
- 1 tbsp coconut flakes
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ ground mixed spice
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment
- Roughly chop the hazelnuts and peanuts and add to a bowl with flaked almonds, coconut flakes, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds.
- Add the coconut oil and spices and mix everything together.
- Spread the mixture evenly over a baking tray making sure you don’t overload it as you want it in a thin layer.
- Place in the top or bottom oven at around 150-200ºC, and depending on temperature bake for between 8-15 minutes. Check on it regularly as it will turn from pale to brown very quickly. Stir the mixture halfway though to ensure it is evenly browned.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin. Transfer to an airtight jar or tin. The muesli should keep for at least two weeks.
- Serve this crunchy nut muesli with your choice of yoghurt, milk, fruit etc. I eat it as a topper on full fat Greek yoghurt and berries.