Who likes their savoury treats to have a kick? These spicy cheese and herb scones deliver on flavour and give that spicy kick with the addition of cayenne pepper and ground black pepper. These are great with soup or with a cream cheese filling.
- 225g self raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 55g butter
- 25g mature cheddar, grated
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- black pepper
- 150ml milk
- 20g grated parmesan
- Place the flour in a bowl, add the salt and then rub in the butter.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese, herbs and cayenne and black peppers.
- Add the milk and combine to a soft dough. I used my hands until it formed a soft doughy ball.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead gently. Pat or roll out to a 2cm thick piece. Use a 5cm cutter to stamp out rounds, place on a greased baking tray.
- Knead together the remaining bits and cut out rounds again until you have used up all the dough.
- Brush the tops with a little milk and then grate on some parmesan cheese.
- Pop in the top oven at around 200Cº and bake until well risen and golden brown. It took about 15 minutes in my oven but it was running a little hotter than this. Check them after 10 minutes and adjust the time depending on the temperature you run your oven at.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.