We love chicken in our house as it’s so versatile and inexpensive, especially if you buy legs or thighs. This Chicken with borlotti beans & cavolo nero recipe from Waitrose is really easy and incredibly tasty. You could use any beans you fancy but borlotti work best. Serves 4. Preparation 15 minutes.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 British chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- 200g cavolo nero
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 200ml dry white wine
- 250ml chicken stock
- 2 x 400g cans borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp créme fraîche
- Heat the oil in a large casserole or sauté pan on the hotplate. Season the chicken thighs and fry skin-side down for 5 minutes until golden. Turn over and fry for a further 2 minutes and lift out of the pan and set aside.
- Meanwhile strip the cavolo nero from its stems. Finely chop the stems and tear the leaves into rough strips.
- Add the onion and cavolo nero stalks to the pan and season well. fry for 5 minutes until softened and turning golden. Add the garlic and rosemary and fry for a further 2 minutes. Stir in the wine and bubble until reduced by half, then add the stock and borlotti beans.
- Nestle the chicken back into the casserole or sauté pan and. transfer to the oven at around 180ºC and bake for 25 minutes. Adjust the time depending on the temperature of your oven.
- Remove pan from the oven and lift the chicken pieces from the pan. Stir in the créme fraîche and cavolo nero leaves. Return the chicken to the pan and bake for a further 10 minutes or so. Stand for 5 minutes before serving with lemon wedges and crusty bread.