If I had told my younger daughter that this courgette loaf contained courgettes she would not have tried it. So I just said it was cake – it did not last long. You can also use a cream cheese and icing sugar frosting if you want to sweeten it or spread a slice with butter.
- 2 large eggs
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 85g soft brown sugar
- 350g courgettes, grated
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp cinnamon (use less if you are not a fan)
- 300g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 140g sultanas
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 85g walnuts, chopped
- Make sure your baking oven (top) is set at around 180-200ºC before you begin.
- Butter and line a large (2lb) loaf tin with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, oil and sugar together and then add the courgettes and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, combine the remaining ingredients with a pinch of salt.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet mixture, then pour into the tin.
- Bake for around 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool, then serve, or freeze for up to 1 month.