Leek and potato soup is a family staple in our house. Make up a large batch and freeze in portions and simple take out the night before you need and reheat on the hotplate. You can take a portion to work and reheat in the microwave too. Serves 4.
- 2 medium leeks, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large potatoes, floury white one such as Maris Piper
- 30g butter
- 600ml chicken stock, or vegetable
- sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- nutmeg, grated
- 1tbsp yoghurt or single cream
- chives or parsley to garnish
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes
- Sweat the leeks, potatoes and onions in the butter in a heavy bottomed pan on the simmer plate. Stir regularly so they do not stick and burn
- Add the stock Add the seasoning and a little nutmeg to taste.
- Bring the soup to the boil and cover with lid. Move to the bottom oven on 80-100ºC and leave for 2-4 hours until cooked.
- Remove from the oven. The soup can then be whizzed in a blender if you like it smooth or served as it comes.
- Stir in some yoghurt or cream and garnish with parsley or chives.
- Serve hot with fresh bread.