I made these super scones first time perfect in the Everhot and they were delicious. Light, airy and absolutely mouth-watering. Needless to say they had disappeared before I managed to buy some clotted cream! It’s a good idea to make a double batch. Makes 8-10 scones
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 40g butter, softened
- 25g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 150ml milk
- Make sure the top Everhot oven is at 220ºC before you begin. Blast with the grill to bring up to temperature quickly.
- Lightly grease a baking tin.
- Measure the dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Add the butter and gentle rub in until the mix resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Break an egg into a jug, add the milk and whisk lightly.
- Stir into the flour until combined, leaving a tsp or so in the jug to brush the scones with before baking. Mix to a soft dough.
- Place on a lightly floured surface and knead gently. Do not overwork. Roll out to ¾-1 inch thickness. Cut with a 2inch fluted cutter.
- Place on baking tray. Brush with milk and egg mixture. Place in the bottom of the top oven for 10-15 minutes until a light golden colour and risen.
- Remove from the oven and watch them disappear.