The surprise in this magic lemon pudding is you mix everything up at once but after baking there is sponge on the top and a tangy lemon sauce on the bottom.
- 2 medium eggs (separated)
- 30g butter (plus extra for greasing)
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour (rounded)
- 175g caster sugar.
- 1 large lemon (unwaxed or well-scrubbed)
- 225ml milk
- 500ml boiling water
- Butter a 1 litre ovenproof dish and stand it in a roasting tin
- Beat the egg yolks with the butter, flour and sugar
- Add the zested, or grated, rind and juice of the lemon
- Whisk in the milk. It WILL curdle and look revolting – don’t worry, this is part one of the MAGIC!
- Whisk the egg whites until fairly stiff and fold into the mixture. It will look a curdled mess but don’t worry – have faith!
- Pour the whole disgusting mess into your greased dish, and pour just-boiled water into the roasting tin, to come about halfway up the side of the dish – 500ml or so should do it.
- Bake for around 40 minutes in the top oven at around 180ºC, until the top is risen and a light, golden brown.