I adore roasted beetroot, and it’s so easy to make. You can leave it cooking away in its own foil pouch in the bottom oven and not worry about it. Eat it warm and any left over you can put in a jar with a little olive oil and keep in the fridge. Great with salads and fish.
- 500g beetroot, uncooked
- 8-10 cloves of garlic
- bunch fresh oregano, chopped (works nearly as well with dried Italian herbs)
- 8 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and black pepper to season
- Scrub the beetroot bulbs and remove the stalks, cut into chunks
- using around one metre of foil, fold in half and seal three edges to make a pouch
- Put all the ingredients into the pouch and mix them well
- Seal the open edge of the pouch so the juices cannot escape during cooking
- Place on a baking tray in the bottom oven at around 130
- Cook for at least two hours, you can leave it for much longer and they won’t come to any harm.
- When you are ready to serve, place on a serving dish in the bag and open the bag and bring straight to the table.