Chicken is one of my ‘go to’ ingredients for the evening meal and I am always looking for a different way of cooking it. This saffron and lemon chicken is very quick to make and a versatile supper the whole family will enjoy. Serves 4.
- 4 onions, thinly sliced
- juice of 4 lemons
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 400g Greek yoghurt, full fat
- pinch saffron threads
- 3 tbsp boiling water
- 6 chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
- Place the onions, lemon juice, olive oil, turmeric, salt and yoghurt in a bowl and mix well.
- Grind the saffron to a powder using a pestle and mortar and then pour on the boiling water and leave to infuse for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the lemon and yoghurt mixture and coat all the chicken pieces with the mixture. Next add the saffron-infused water to the bowl and mix well. Cover and leave in the fridge overnight to marinade. If you are in a hurry you can leave for 1-2 hours but it won’t taste as good.
- Remove the pieces of chicken from the marinade and place on a lined baking tray. Bake in the top oven at around 200ºC for around 20 minutes or use the grill if your oven is not hot enough, but make sure you keep an eye on it.
- You can fry or gently heat the marinade mixture on the hotplate and serve with the chicken. I like to eat this with a simple green salad and spicy cumin chips or onion bread.