When the weather is cold, rainy and grey you simply cannot beat a warming sausage casserole to come home to. The kids love coming home from school to see a super sausage casserole is residing in the bottom oven of the Everhot – waiting to be devoured! Serves 3-4.
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- Packet of 6 good quality pork sausages. I used Waitrose Gourmet Sausages
- packet of chopped pancetta
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red pepper, cored and sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, cored and sliced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 300ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- Couple of sprigs of fresh thyme or pinch of dry thyme
- 75ml red wine, optional
- Place the oil in a sauté pan (oven proof) or casserole dish. Add the sausages and fry gently on the hotplate for 10 minutes until browned on all sides. Remove from the pan.
- Next fry the pancetta until brown and slightly crispy, remove from the pan and place with the sausages.
- Add the onions to the pan (and a little more oil if required), fry for a couple of minutes until softening slightly. Next add the garlic and peppers and spices. Continue frying gently for 5 minutes until soft.
- Now add the tomatoes, purée, stock and wine if you are using. Add a little more stock if not.
- Put the sausages and bacon back in the pan and bring to a gentle simmer. Pop on the lid and place in the bottom over at 100ºC for a minimum of an hour. I usually put it in the oven and leave until I am ready to eat which could be anywhere between an hour and 4 hours!
- Delicious with crusty bread, a baked potato or some brown rice and peas.